CA. #835032
(925) 595-5049
The top screw securing the receptacle is a galvanized decking screw. This screw is incorrect and is too large of a diameter. It ruined (cracked) the plastic box in the wall that it threaded into. Now the wall has to be opened up to replace the box in the wall.
These can lights were installed by a home owner. This can be a dangerous decision to make if you are not an electrician so you are strongly urged to hire a competent electrician to do this kind of work.
This can light was installed by a home owner. These connections should have been inside the fixture rather than on the outside. You can see some of the bare copper conductor (black wire) exposed, and this could easily shock someone. It could also spark and cause a fire.
The two-screw connector seen on the top right corner of this panel is not listed for exterior use. It is not water tight.
This junction box was buried inside the wall. It took four hours to find it, and cost the home owner $320.00 to fix a loose connection. Junction boxes should always be made accessible.
The flexible metallic conduit shown here should not be used with the type of elbow shown. Typically, LFMC (liquidtight flexible metallic conduit) is used with this fitting. This is a mismatch of materials and an indicator of ignorance, or disconcern.
The customer complained that two of their lights never worked (had to fire original electrician). This cable was never connected to the lights. Always check everything for functionality before covering up with drywall.
The metallic cable entering this plastic box on the right side is a code violation. Metallic cables should always be used with metallic boxes.
The wires in this junction box were terminated in a very sloppy way. The single gang plaster ring is too small- should have used a two gang plaster ring so wires could be reached for tightening purposes more easily. Really amatuer work here.
These conductors were double lugged, meaning two wires per lug. Some lugs have oval shaped holes and are for double lugging, unfortunately not the case here.
The green equipment grounding conductors terminated on the vertical neutral busbar are a code violation. This is only allowed at the main service panel, not other subpanels etc.
The bare uninsulated copper wires should not be on this neutral busbar. This is a common mistake made by untrained, or careless electricians. It can put a current flow onto the bare equipment grounding conductors which is a very bad thing. Also the bonding strap should not be connected.
This light fixture was installed without an outlet box in the wall. This allows 120 volt connections to remain next to combustible material- could be a fire hazard.
The unsheathed black and white wires should not be showing. The outer sheath has been removed exposing these conductors. The insulation on them could get cut by the sharp edges of the hole in the metal box.
This junction box is buried in a wall. This a bad idea as someone may need to access it to repair loose connections. You can see in the top left corner some burnt cables, which caused a short circuit. This cost the homeowner about $4000.00 to repair. OUCH!!!
These cables burned up for an unknown reason. They are the burnt cables in the picture at left.
The cable clamps seen on the inside of this box are reversed. They should be on the outside of the box.
The green and bare wires should not be on this neutral busbar.
This closet light installation should not exist. Exposed incandescent light bulbs are not allowed in closets- fire hazard. Also, the white plumbing pipe used as  conduit is not accepted, and there is no outlet box installed behind the fixture leaving 120volt connections next to combustible material.
Here we again see a green ground wire, red neutral(?) wire, a bare uninsulated ground wire (still wrapped in brown paper) all terminated to the neutral busbar. This panel should have a ground bus installed. There is also a non white wire smaller than #6, that has been wrapped in white tape.
This receptacle has a bootleg ground where someone has taken a short white wire from the neutral terminal to the grounding terminal.
This exposed incandescent light bulb is not allowed by code to be used in clothes closets. This is a fire hazard.
This porcelien base light fixture should not be mounted directly to a combustible framing member. There are 120 volt connections on the base which could become loose and arc/cause a fire. It should have been mounted on a box.
This is indeed an avant garde way to give a light fixture support. This was done so that when they pull the chain the switch will be activated versus the fixture moving in the direction of the chain being pulled.
The can lights in the square areas were not centered correctly when initially installed. You can see they have been centered now. This kind of thing happens when proper planning is thrown to the curb in the rush to 'get things done'.
This old school type receptacle has exposed 120 volt terminals. This is a shock hazard big time.
This old furnace was left in the crawl space when a new one was installed. Not seen in this picture is the old duct system left behind as well. Exceedingly poor service on the installers part.
Conductors and cables should not enter a pipe this way. There should be some sort of fitting, or bushing, so the sharp edge of the pipe does not compromise the insulation.