CA. #835032
(925) 595-5049
Stranded wire should not be wrapped around screw terminals, wires should wrap around
screw terminals in clockwise direction, the switch needs a ground wire attached to it,
individual conductors should not be used with this type of box instead a romex type cable
should be used.
This switch box has four code violations - the switch is not grounded, the box has 15 wires in it and it is rated for only
nine, the lower left cable has conductors showing, the lower cables are not stapled within 12"  of the box.
This receptacle is rated for copper wire only and it has an aluminum wire terminated to it. This is a fire hazard due to the dissimilar metals causing corrosion and thus a poor connection. Also, the wire is wrapped counter clockwise around the screw and should have been wrapped clockwise.
This junction box was buried inside the wall. The connections inside this box may become loose and because this box was not made accessible it would be next to impossible to find the loose connection. Very costly to repair.
Aluminum & copper wires have been terminated together at the main lugs (silver square things). This causes electrolosys which can lead to fire. The smaller of the wires were added because there were no breaker slots open for new breakers. Panel was full.
The door for this disconnect can't be opened because of the water heater pipe being in the way. There are fuses inside which may need replacing.
This box should not have been buried (covered with drywall). It would be difficult to know the box was there,
and to tighten the connections inside of it. It was discovered after another hole was cut to install a ceiling
fan type outlet box.
The insulation on the wires in this box has been ruined due to excessive heat which
came from too high of wattage bulbs being used.
The type of cable used here is not suitable for exterior use. Also, the incorrect type of connector was used to terminated the cable to the box (screw shorted out conductors). Not to mention the box is not for exterior use (not water tight), and black irrigation pipe used as conduit at bottom right.
Here we have a MC cable (right) spliced to some individual conductors just laying on the ground. This is unsafe, could be a shock hazard, and is definately not to code. This should have been done in PVC conduit and buried 18" deep.
The rectangular hole on the side of this metal light pole is called a 'hand hole' and it should have a metal cover on it. This is dangerous as a child could stick a hand inside and possibly get shocked. This post is located in an apartment complex.
This type of cover is not code compliant. It should have been an 'in use' cover (bubble cover). This type of cover is not safe when something is plugged in while it is raining. Not to mention it should have been centered in the siding board- not stradling two of them.
This GFCI was installed very poorly. The box to which it is mounted is buried about two inches into the wall. They had to use wood pieces just to give the GFCI support.. The front of the outlet box in the wall should have been flush with the exterior wall surface giving the GFCI support.
This box has far too many wires in it, so many that there was not enough room to use wire nuts to make the connections. They merely twisted the wires together and then taped them. One of these connections came loose and caused a costly service call.
This GFCI receptacle melted due to a loose coonnection. Many times loose connections are the result of under trained workers being pushed (by a greedy boss) to  complete work loads beyond their ability.
This GFI receptacle box had water in it which was caused by the incorrect fittings (non rain tight) being used. Also, the flip up type cover plate is not code compliant for a 'wet location' and should have been an 'in-use' bubble cover.
Stranded wire should never be used to wrap around a screw terminal. This will undoubtedly fail and cause a bad connection.
This switch has a 'traveller' wire connected to the grounding terminal. This wire should have been connected to the unused brass terminal. A grounding wire should have been connected to the grounding terminal. This is a shock hazard.
These uncapped wires were left like this by someone doing electrical work at a convenience store. When the circuit breaker was turned on these wires shorted out to the metal box. Very unprofessional.
This box is rated for eighteen #12 wires and it has thirty four #12 wires in it. This can lead to heat build up causing wire insulation to become compromised and a potential fire/shock hazard.
This loose cable should be removed from the structure, or terminated in a junction box. This could be a fire hazard.
This splice was buried in the ground and merely taped together. The insulation on the wires leading to top right of picture is completely gone. The customer paid alot to get this repaired.
Open air splices like this are a bad idea. These connections should be in a junction box to contain sparks and reduce the chance of fire.
The metal box shown here is not rated for exterior use. It is not 'weather proof'. This is a shock hazard.
The threads of this service mast were only holding by about two threads. It was not threaded in nearly enough and it come out. This is very dangerous, and is the result of amatuer work.
The breaker shown in the center is a residential 'push-on' style breaker installed in a commercial 'bolt-on' style panel. This is the apex of jerry rigging. Absolutely amatuer to say the least.
This yellow non-metallic cable should not be used in metal studs without a plastic bushing to prevent the sharp edge of the hole in the stud from cutting into the cable's insulation.
These ducts got so corroded they literally fell apart. Attics rarely get inspected and consequently broken things can go for long periods of time unnoticed.